I try to keep up on how people are liking their Teenage Engineering OP-1 because I’m such a fan of mine. As a result, one thing I see people talk about a lot is how noisy their op-1 can be when trying to record it using an audio interface. Awhile ago, I came across a weird cable combo that fixed my noise issue so I decided to make an OP-1 cable tutorial to help people out with the same issue.
As I said above, I also ran into the issue of noise with my OP-1 unit. As I tried to solve the noise issue, I came across several mentions online that you can reduce your noise by unplugging the USB cord or turning off USB charging in the COM settings. Once i read that, I turned that off and I STILL had a noisy signal when connecting my OP-1 to my audio interface.
After I got the USB settings right in the OP-1, with no fix with the noise, I started investigating my audio cables. As i looked around, I found I had two random XLR cables laying around. So I connected them together. With that, I now had a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch audio cable with an XLR couple in the middle.
Now that I had my new found cable combo, I plugged one end into my OP-1 and one end into my audio interface. And do you know what happened next? The noise vanished! I didn’t find anything about this cable combo I came across so I made a video to break it down.
I also recorded a new op-1 jam for this video. Then I uploaded it to iMusician’s new Instant Mastering service.
Topics that I cover in this OP-1 cable tutorial video include:
- OP-1 Disk Mode to get audio into a computer
- Aux cable from the OP-1 with an adapter
- Using a 3.5mm to 1/4 inch cable from the OP-1
- My weird XLR cable combo
- Adding a ground loop noise isolator to get rid of noise from the OP-1
- a live OP-1 Jam / iMusician Instant Mastering side by side demo
- Preparing a track for iMusician’s Instant Mastering Service in Logic Pro X
- Uploading a track to iMusician’s Instant Mastering Service.
Check out iMusician’s new Instant Mastering Service and save 20% until 12/31/2020: bit.ly/InstantMastering-BradTennant
Get the op-1 jam from this video at my bandcamp: bradtennant.bandcamp.com/track/slow-poke
Cables and stuff mentioned in the video (affiliate links):
- XLR Male to 1/4 inch cable: amzn.to/3eHO8ic
- XLR Female to 1/8 inch (3.5mm) cable: amzn.to/2GR67X0
- 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch cable: amzn.to/3eJefFo
- Ground Loop Noise Isolator (super cheap way to eliminate OP-1 noise): amzn.to/35bbA4c
Listen to Time Machine (Demo) on Spotify: open.spotify.com/album/229jCWktWkixhk80i9jQ6B